Friday, July 1, 2011

Never give up on "Strange"

Dr. Linda Freeman: Anything bothering you lately?
Charlie Harper: Well, there is this one thing, but I don't know if it's medical or psychological.
Dr. Linda Freeman: Tell me.
Charlie Harper: Lately, I've passed up a couple of opportunities to get some strange.
Dr. Linda Freeman: *Strange*?
Charlie Harper: Oh... Women with whom I have not previously been acquainted.
Dr. Linda Freeman: Oh, right, strange. Charming.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the characters, they're from Two And A Half Men. (For those who are even geekier, its Season 6 Episode 15)

I've shared this for two reasons. One, I find it incredibly funny how the character objectifies women. Two, I like "strange" too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really referring to women here, but, I'm always one to try out new things. As a kid, I once came across this poster which read, "Between two evils, pick one you haven't tried before". Once again, I apologize for the poor choice of examples to convey my point. Apparently, Google couldn't help me find alternatives without sex and alcohol involved. 

Give yourself the "Strange" treatment! 

Enter a restaurant and instead of going through the menu, ask the attendant to get you what he feels is good. Don't fuss over the type of sauce, side-dishes etc. Try out something new for a change, what's the worst that can happen? I'm yet to ever order a drink based on what's written under its name. If the description was important, it wouldn't be in such a small font, would it? 

When out in a lounge, bar or just waiting for a table in a restaurant, strike up a conversation with the girl opposite you. No, you don't need to blast off on a romantic tangent, just talk. You'd be surprised how interesting the opposite sex seems when you take sex out of the picture. Wait, scratch that! 

Ask your friends to pick something to do & don't bother resisting their choice. I recently went to see Vagina Monologues, with a group of 5 women nonetheless (slaps forehead) & left after an hour of intense laughter. 

Something you should know about the "Strange" Treatment, it's especially good if you're lethargic. There's nothing I hate more than having to plan, co-ordinate & arrange for 'days out'. Strange does all the work for you & things work out most of the time. Though I strongly suggest those with a neo-Nazi, ultra-authoritative personality to stay away. You're one kind of strange I'd pass up on any day! Strange isn't about losing control, its about giving it up peacefully.

Cheers to another strange weekend

1 comment:

  1. "I bet 'strange' comes from 'stranger'."
    Dr Linda's character is the best.

    ReplyDelete